Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Unexpected March 2020

Well, this is not how I expected my March to turn out. Just two weeks ago, we were all together and sticking to our normal class routine, and now due to COVID-19, it is best to stay home and practice social distancing. I miss my classmates, my professors, the Pharmacology office, in-class lectures, and even Friday seminars. However, the constant depressing news alerts and COVID-19 death rates make the “Stay at Home” mandate make sense. Thanks to YuJa, listening to lectures online is not foreign to us. Zoom is up and running, and I honestly look forward to it every time we have a session.  I am also looking forward to our first upcoming online Zoom exam review. 
I am remaining positive and still hoping that we can all return before May, but whatever it takes for this deadly virus to disappear and people return to their normal lives is what we should all focus on. I enjoyed our first Zoom lecture for Environmental Signaling because the speaker informed us on current COVID-19 information, which was very helpful because there were still facts about the Coronavirus I was unaware of and any clarity about this virus helps at this point in time. I appreciate Dr. Clarkson and Miss Linda for keeping us updated as much as possible about the program, and I realize there are still things that are being sorted out. It really hurt that we were unable to have the BMS and the Masters of Pharmacology crawfish boils. I was really looking forward to spending time with my classmates and enjoying crawfish (my favorite during this time of the year). However, I was able to enjoy my birthday before the virus took over our lives and am grateful for the three celebrations in honor of a new year with family and friends.
I expected to have returned to Second Harvest Food Bank this month to prepare more meals, but at this point it is mandated for us to stay home and try to avoid any additional spread of this deadly virus. I plan on helping in the near future when we are allowed to go out and not risk the lives of others because I really feel as if I am helping my community when I go serve. I have recently signed up on the United Way HandsOn New Orleans Volunteer Center as a virtual volunteer to serve as a phone representative to check in on seniors in the community during this COVID-19 outbreak. I also took the volunteer opportunity provided through my Tulane's email to provide my virtual service, and I hope I actually get the chance to uplift at least one person's spirits during this difficult time. I hope by the next post, I have better news and we have “flattened the curve” in regards to COVID-19. Attached is a picture of a few of my fellow classmates and I at the beginning of the semester just to brighten up this rough time.

2020 Volunteer Hours Completed: 5.0 
Cumulative Hours (Fall 2019 Hours Included): 19.5

No comments:

Post a Comment