Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Beautiful Experience

       Looking back on these past nine months bring tears to my eyes. This was a great, challenging, and required experience. I’ve learned so much in this Pharmacology program and I’m not just referring to lecture content, but also how to effectively study, how to effectively read and present research papers, how to manage time, and how to offer my services to the community. Looking back, if I have to pick, my favorite block was the GI and Neoplasia block. I really enjoyed learning about the digestive system, the difference between IBD and IBS, the different drugs involved, the various herbal supplements, and the cancer complication treatments. The Environmental Signaling course allowed me to look at the environment from a different standpoint, and though the lead samples I collected were at appropriate levels, I learned a valuable lesson that can help me in my future as a Pediatrician. Many of my classmates had high lead levels and lead can cause developmental delays in children, and I can use this as a learning tool for my future by appropriately testing children for metals in the environment, which can potentially harm them.
       What I enjoyed learning the most was the various drugs and how to apply them to different clinical cases. I don’t think I will ever go into a drugstore again without walking down the drug aisle looking at the back of bottles and reading the ingredients, dosage directions, and side effects. My favorite class tools were the Pharmwiki resources and MedPharm reviews. I especially enjoyed seminars and learning various research techniques and where future research is headed.
       Even though the COVID-19 pandemic cut our face-to-face time together short, I will not allow it to ruin any of these positive experiences for me. Volunteering almost weekly to offer my community service was my new found norm, and Second Harvest Food Bank was where I spent most of my volunteer hours; however, with the stay-at-home mandate, I have been actively calling seniors around the New Orleans area with United Way HandsOn Meal Delivery to make sure seniors are receiving meals twice a week. The seniors are able to express to me any concerns about their food delivery or COVID-19, and I am able to actively help them by providing answers and just being a listening ear. This has been a rewarding experience since I am able to virtually serve the community. 
       I was looking forward to the crawfish boils; however, keeping everyone safe is more important. Our Endocrine Pharmacology course has taught me how to manage stress, and I have personally enjoyed the Zoom sessions since the stay-at-home order has been mandated. I never would have imagined graduating virtually, but at least we can still receive our recognition and celebrate virtually with classmates, faculty, and family. This program has really allowed self-growth and has prepared me more for my future as a physician, and I am grateful for all of the Tulane staff, my professors, seminar speakers, and classmates for these experiences. Hopefully, this is not a goodbye to Tulane, but a see you soon! Attached are a few pictures from our programs’ Christmas gatherings.  
2020 Volunteer Hours Completed: 5.0 (not including Phone-a-Senior hours)
Cumulative Hours (Fall 2019 Hours Included): 19.5 (not including Phone-a-Senior hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment