Thursday, October 24, 2019

Falling for Volunteering (October Service Projects)

       Fall is here! Now that I’m looking back, time is flying! The course load is challenging, but I still see how this pharmacology program will help prepare me for my future as a doctor. We have just completed the Physiology and ANS block, and I have added even more drug names to my growing list. Working in an urgent care, I see EKGs all the time, but I never understood what all the lines and bumps meant, but now I feel I should be able to at least look at an EKG and know what is going on. 

       I have now completed three shifts at Second Harvest Food Bank, and it gets more rewarding each time I go. For my second shift, I walked into the kitchen at Second Harvest, and one of the kitchen leaders asked me if I could come every Tuesday on her shift, and that made me not only feel welcomed, but as if my volunteering work is being recognized. My second shift was also special because I ended up doing a project by myself possibly due to the lack of volunteers that day. I sorted and packaged 210 snack packages, which included a portion size of carrots, ranch dressing, crackers, cheese sticks, and napkins for an elementary school. 

       My third shift at the food bank allowed me to make more volunteer friends, and of course the conversation about “oh, you want to be a pharmacist” came up, which is what everyone seems to think when they hear of a masters in pharmacology. Surprisingly, this conversation lead to another conversation about personal stories about doctors, their bedside manners, and doctors taking the time to explain procedures and following-up with detailed explanations. Listening to this conversation and reflecting on my personality, I can only hope to make all patients feel welcomed and important while under my care. While making new volunteer friends, we also worked on three projects together: sorting and packing two different snack packs including juice, crackers, and cheese and also boxing a Taco Tuesday snack with black beans, salsa, and chips (about 670 meals total). If there is a break between finishing a project, we all look for more to do and really want to provide our time to help serve the community while we are there, which is important to me. I am enjoying my volunteering opportunity at Second Harvest, and I always look forward to returning. 
       
Completed Hours: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment